Friday 22 January 2010

friday 22nd January

I am now in Morocco in Merzouga. The flight was good and the chief host steward was very funny. She told us it would be a challenge if we tried to go to the loo during the air turbulence. Also it would be like surfing if we tried to walk in the aisle.



Met a lovely lady on my way out of the plane. Her name is Kitty and she loves Morocco. She has visited about 90 times in the past 30 years. She was going to Imlil to stay with some Berber friends.




Got to the riad by phoning and asking for directions. A young woman came and showed us the route. A fab riad with a cosy room. Went to get some money at Credit Maroc and it swallowed my card. tried to use my credit card but it was rejected. I hope I remembered the number correctly. The card was returned the next morning.




Had an evening meal at the Argana cafe which is in the square. Not the best meal but a good view of the portable restaurants in the square.



Breakfast was good, they even had harcha - a cake of semolina. I had 2.The coffee was really good.



We took the bus to Ourzazate and while we were waiting we met and  chatted to a young couple from Montreal. They were with their two sons Manu and Luka. So brave to travel with them in a different country. I bet they were glad of their double buggie.

Felt sick for the first part of the journey but after eating some tagine felt restored. We stayed at Dar Chamaa and met Mohammed whose family own the hotel in partnership with some Spanish. Mohammed was one of the students at the house in Meknes where Ammars nephew was staying. Mohammed was an English student at the university. It was great to see him again.

We got tickets on the CTM bus for Er Rachidia and walked about the main street. It was in my mind to buy an embroidered scarf that I had seen on another visit. We found the shop and a scarf was fixed to the ceiling. I wanted it and the man was trying to find a page in a book to show us one like it. I asked the price and he said 800 dirhams. A good job I was sitting down. Got him down to 250 but A was eager to go. I have decided that I will make one of my own embroidered scarves. I will get the cloth, needles and thread in Rissani on Sunday or maybe tomorrow.



A taxi took us to Rissani and an other took us to Merzouga. We were lucky to get it. But if we missed it we could have stayed with Ammars nephew Ali.

The big thing at Zaids, thats Ammars brother, is bees. Last year he started with one and then got another. Now he has about 7 boxes and two hives in old clay water pots. Today there was another swarm. Youssef, another nephew of Ammar is also following the bee craze. He was making his own box today.



We went to the cafe before coming to the net but didnt see Tricky, my adopted cat. Mohamed the Carpet Man was there and Funny Lahcen. Ammar has gone to see his German pal Michael at the auberge Le Petit Prince while I do the blog.

Im going to check my email now.

No comments:

Post a Comment