Monday 4 January 2010

Getting the hang of blogging

I just put a picture up here but I didn't want to post it until I had written something. So here is the something. The photo was taken when I was leaving Marrakech last summer on the Ryanair flight to Luton. 


I wonder what new rules there will be at airports. I have never left from Bristol to Marrackech but going from Luton I had to remember to empty out all liquids and creams from my hand luggage. Last time I even had to remove the belt from my trousers. They let me keep my shoes on.


In Marrakech there are separate queues for men and women. You get frisked at the end by a police woman. This doesn't bother me. Now there is talk about the new sort of body scanners that let everyone who is checking see exactly what you are like under the clothes. Not a pretty sight. But anything that stops these people who want to kill planefuls of souls. I am reading a book about Islam to try to understand why this is happening. Its called 'The Crisis of Islam Holy War and Unholy Terror' by Bernard Lewis. 


A. says that these people are not Muslims.  The whole interplay of the so called 'West' and the countries of Islam that have been inhabited by people from 'western' countries is difficult to grasp. I only know that I have got a better understanding of the Muslim world since meeting Ammar and all my friends in Morocco, since meeting some lovely guys from Gaza and hearing their terrible stories and since finding my Egyptian cousin two years ago and actually getting to meet her.


Time to get back to the documents.

1 comment: